Thursday, March 11, 2010

nose hairs

Nose Hairs

I think a lot about hair these days
Because I don’t have any.
Chemo did this.
My profile reminds me of Mahatma Gandhi .
God knows how many I’ve lost:
He said every one on my head was numbered.
Let’s look on the bright side:
I save a good hour every a.m.
                Shampooing, curling, spritzing….
I save on shampoos, conditioners, and gels,
                Also on electricity (hairdryer) and hot water.
No leg hairs either.
No armpit hairs.
Not even any old-lady bristles on my chinny-chin-chin.
Everything’s smooth as a baby’s bottom.
But, folks!  When the sun shines onto the parquet floor
                Around 4 o’clock
                And I see the dust motes floating in the air
                Or huddled together along the baseboard,
Here’s what I miss most:
My nose hairs!
Yes, those undernoticed, underappreciated sifters
That  God created to keep our lungs
From forming hairballs.
When is the last time you thanked God
For  them?
Really.
Let us pray.
Amen.

-virginia claire-









4 comments:

  1. Just today Byron bought a nose hair trimmer which will, I anticipate, drastically cut down on my sunny-day dust mote enjoyment.

    Luckily, we have so few sunny days here that I've got a stockpile of other pastimes to amuse me. Like looking at his crazy eyebrows.

    You look beautiful, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite post of all times! I just love nose hairs, too, and have always been thankful that I am blessed with an abundance of them.

    I hope that your birthday is extra special. I will be thinking of you and wondering if you are singing "All I want for my birthday is some new nose hairs."

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita! so glad you like my poem. There must be more where that came from. I'll look and see (up my nose - easier to read my thoughts now with the little dental miror. My nose has been sort of dripping. We know why! I love you! Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummmmm Ginny....Tammy here...so glad I know about this site...but had a question about the hairloss and nose hair.....Radar doesn't want to share anymore??? He always has hair available!!! Your looking great girl!!! If I could get away with that look like you do, I would shave my head right now!!!

    ReplyDelete