Friday, April 16, 2010

well there is news and there is news

we saw ginnny's oncologist today...the results from the ct scan are in...the tumors have stopped growing...BUT they are not shrinking as we had hoped...the halted growth is positive...but the follow-up questions asked resulted in some difficult answers...the seriousness of ginny's illness was verbalized again...the tumors are not going away...chemo and cancer will be part of our life as a couple...we are a menage a trois of sorts...chemo will hopefully put the cancer in its place and enter a "dormant" stage...the back side of that is that the tumors will not stay dormant...and additional treatments will be needed to keep it in check...the hard answer is that the chemo will not work for ever...

so...

we sat out on the porch this afternoon and have agreed that our plan of attack is living our life to the fullest...we are focused on next year's season tickets for the opera and another trip over seas next fall...i will say that tears have been close to the surface (me more than gin)...there is a sadness for sure...on the other hand we have something that many do not...time...ginny feels good...she looks good and she has handled the treatment well...

so there it is...we are loving each other fiercely...we are grateful for the love and support of friends and family and we are looking forward to all that is to come...

ginny adds "thank you for your prayers...they have surely helped!"

kirsten

5 comments:

  1. Thoughts and prayers continue to be with both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. let me know what ever you need, thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, babes, I didn't get your phone message until a few minutes ago; Pammy told me about the text, but we didn't "get" your concerns from it--just the fact that the chemo had worked.

    I'm sooo sorry you're feeling the scary part of this; for me, the feeling is one of relief that the chemo is doing something...I guess it had never occurred to me that the tumors would go away...I was just thinking shrinkage would be the best possible outcome.

    So you guys have a Relationship Mascot now: a fuzzy little thing called Cancer Chemo. Teach it not to pee on the couch...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have much love for you, and I'm sending it your way. Know that I carry you both in my heart. I have no words and way to "help", but you are in my heart.

    Karlie

    ReplyDelete