Thursday, December 10, 2009

our journey home and a few final thoughts

We got up at 5 am on the morning of december 6th and made our way to the train station. It was about a 30 minute ride. The Rome airport was quite an adventure…we arrived at terminal 3...took a bus to terminal 5...we stood in line for check point one (passports)…did a second passport check…entered the check-in area…stood in line again to check luggage and get boarding passes (passports out again)…then we took a bus to another part of the terminal…where we checked in for flight (passport again)…and finally one more passport check as we boarded the flight…OMG!!!!

During the process we encountered an american woman traveling alone…she had been to france and italy as well…we did not talk to her directly…but anyone within 50 feet knew all about her trip…she was something else…I enjoyed the short bus ride with her…I have to confess that ginny and I had several smiles and “you have got to be kidding” looks between us…this woman was definitely over the top…just thinking about her makes me smile…oh the mark she must have made on her trip…WOW.

I have been thinking about the trip…there is so much…I loved it…even the challenges, for they make for the best stories…I am coming home lighter (all that walking) and a coffee drinker…the coke light in europe is NOT diet coke…I needed a caffeine replacement and lattes and cappuccinos did the trick…I will confess that I have had 3 diet cokes on the flight today…

I loved to eat in france…I enjoyed the morning coffee stop…paris was a hit…as was a day spent in nice with matisse and chagall…venice was charming…the trip to florence was too short…will go again…rome grew on me…loved the past two days and the sights…old spoke to me…I have learned that I can travel for 17 days with 3 outfits…I have been overwhelmed and under-whelmed by churches (a little conflicted about that)...there are parts of me that have been re-energized by this trip and parts that have seen light for the first time…I have developed new appreciation for many things…for travel…for all that is out there yet to be seen…for art…for people…for my ginny
 
I asked ginny if she would please write for this final blog entry for this trip and she agreed...thanks gin.
 
Ginny writes...
 
Time, for me, moves a whole lot faster at home than it did while Kirsten and I were traveling. She hit the ground running Monday morning. I hit the ground, too, but not at great speed. I am still moving a bit slowly (digestive tract issues since our last day in Rome), but I seem to be busy every minute. Haven't found time to write this until today, our fourth day back! Oy.
 
Jet lag continues to interrupt a good night's sleep for both of us, and there are sudden moments during the day when one seems to hit an air pocket, to use a flying term.

These are my observations, after a super trip with a great traveling companion:

1. As I have mentioned to some of you already, I experienced Paris, Venice and Rome through three sets of senses. I recalled many impressions from my very first visits to these cities fifty years ago (that's a half-century, folks), when I had just graduated from St. Olaf College and was on my way to teach in a German village. And I have been in these cities several times since. I experienced them this time as a, well, somewhat older chick, for whom not much is new but much is still beautiful and fascinating. And, best of all, I had the pleasure of sharing Kirsten's excitement and awe as she took to touring in France and Italy with the same ease and delight as the moi of 50 years ago.

2. I wish to comment on two major differences between France and Italy. Besides the language, of course.

First, the bread. French bread, esp. the baguette, is admired around the world and consumed with great appreciation on site by citizens and aliens alike. Italian bread is, well, tough and boring. Even what may look like a baguette or a croissant is not. And the croissant will be filled with jam. euw.

Second, the coffee. The French savor their coffee in a sitting position. At a sidewalk cafe, either indoors or out. The Italians tend to stay erect, empty their cup (usually tiny) in one swallow and get on with life. So, it's Sip&Savor vs Gulp&Run. We saw NO insulated coffee mugs in anyone's grasp on the whole trip

An aside: the French serve a cup or tall glass of strong coffee and steamed milk, with foam on the top. It is called un café crême, or just un crême for short. If you have studied French, you know that crême is a feminine word, so it would logically require an une in front of it, not an un. But if you order une crême, you may get a cup of half&half for your grammatical correctness. So, when in France, be like the natives and order un crême. It's worth the exhorbitant price.

3. Exhorbitant prices. Fifty years ago, a middle-class American could travel or live in Europe like royalty, because the dollar was so strong. Forget it. Today the dollar is weak against the Euro (it is worth about 64¢) and European prices are higher anyway. So you learn what's a good deal and what isn't and you have a good time.

4. Transportation. I miss the trains of Europe. They will take you anywhere, everywhere, and you don't have to go through security as in an airport or worry about parking in the middle of a huge city.

5. Well,what isn't a trade-off? That's life. There are great advantages to being in Europe and other but just as great advantages to living in the US. Right now, I am happy that we did our trip in safety and in health, we didn't lose anything or get ripped off, and we have the blog, the photos and lots of anecdotes to tide us over the winter. By the way, we already have two possible itineraries planned for the next trip. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment