Thursday, November 24, 2016

A Thankful Kir


 Grateful…


We are 35,000 feet in the air on our way to Baltimore to spend Thanksgiving with the east coast Larsen clan.  Our flight was delayed hours and sweet gin is exhausted.  She fell asleep before take off and has not stirred.  Thank God for the pain pump.

There are so many things that I am thankful for and as I look at Gin sleeping soundly I am genuinely grateful for my life with her.

Ginny and I have been together for almost 10 years.  We met "officially" after a mutual friend suggested I reach out to her. I was looking for a confidant and some guidance.  She was happy to oblige. We became fast friends.  She became a wonderful support and I so enjoyed her company. Although neither one of us saw it coming, love happened. 

These past 10 years have been the greatest of my life.  The challenges faced and the victories won, the adventures sought and realized, the joy of love – for each other and those we love and living/loving each other in health and in sickness, all mark this incredible journey.

As we move forward in this next season of uncertainly, I am so honored to be hers, to wake at her side and to walk through these days, cherishing every moment together.  Our decision to not take anything for granted in these days is something I wish we ALL could do ALL of the time.  There is a sweetness and a joy in walking so intentionally. 

As the weather has changed I have moved my morning coffee from our patio to our bed.  That 30-minutes of time at the beginning of each day has become my favorite time of day.  There is a tenderness to morning coffee pillow talk.  There is security and comfort in that bed full of the Lindbloom-Larsen gals and pups, making for gentle and real conversations about living and dying, wishes and regrets, the future and the past.

Ginny has given me the world, figuratively and literally.  She has challenged me to be a better me, to be a better teacher, a better friend, a better sister and a better wife.  All of which she takes pride in and rightly so. 

So this Thanksgiving I am thankful for my wife…my creative, linguistically brilliant, animal loving, tender-hearted, justice-minded, story-telling, ass-kicking, quirky, hilarious Ginny. 

Grateful…

Kir














No comments:

Post a Comment